Thursday, August 27, 2015

Free Fruits and Veggies!!

Free Fruits and Veggies 


Every year around the beginning of Summer people are planting fruits and vegetables. Some people do it right in their own backyards to sustain their families for the Summer months. Some have farms and bring their crops to the local Oregon Farmer's Markets . There are also some people that setup Community Gardens for individuals and families that live in a neighborhood, so that they will have fresh fruits and vegetables.

In my local neighborhood we have two Community Gardens where we can go and take what we need. Every year I tend to go, collect whatever tomatoes they have and make various things. Stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa and more. 

There are several things I will be talking about over the next few weeks in regards to canning, preserving and making various foods. 


Today, we are going to be talking, not just about Community gardens and their usefulness, but being able to give back to the community. Last year, a woman down the street from us started a community garden. She had blueberries, tomatoes, peas and a whole lot more.  For day I walked passed her garden wondering if I could pick the tomatoes because they were weighing down the plants. I wasn't sure. So I went up to her door and asked to take some. She said that she made it a community garden but didn't have a sign to put out. Honestly, we were EXCEPTIONALLY poor last year and were unable to buy a whole bunch of fresh fruits. Just like many families I am sure. I had caned the tomatoes that we received from her garden and a church Community Garden down the street and we were able to have fresh food pretty much all winter. 














Since the beginning of this Summer I have made it a point to look around and see what types of trees are around me. ESPECIALLY in my neighborhood. I was REALLY surprised at what I found. I found: 10 cherry trees, 2 apples trees, a pear tree and a plum tree. Not to mention all the herbs that people have in their yards that are close to the street. The other thing I started doing is going up to people's doors and asking if I might be able to have some of their fruits, veggies and herbs. People were EXCEPTIONALLY generous. 

Today, when you read this, I want you to think about all the ways other than going to a supermarket, that you would be able to get food. A lot of people are willing to share if you just ASK. There are a lot of people that have apples that are either too old or do not have the time to can. So, maybe you can ask for some and then offer to bring them a can of Apple Butter or Applesauce? 



Remember that people struggle everyday but there are people out there who find ways to help each other. Community Gardens are a sure way that everyone get's helped. Remember to look around your neighborhoods for fruit trees, vegetable gardens, and her gardens. People are almost always willing to share if you just ASK. 


Happy searching and picking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment