Thursday, March 31, 2016

Volunteering at Farms

Hi everyone!

Today, I would like to talk about GLEANING and the amazing affects it can have on the community, your budget and your stomachs!


Over the past 5 years we have needed to find assistance with food. We found that we were not eligible for food stamps or assistance other than an occasional food pantry. SO, what did we do?
A friend of mine had told me about a specific farm where people go to volunteer and get food in return. I thought this was a great idea. So, I went to go check it out. It is at a farm in Sherwood. This is about 20 miles from me. I had done gleaning before and I had to choose a number and I would have to wait hours and almost always be the last in line.

The farm that my son and I have been going to is called Heart 2 Heart Farms. These people are truly amazing with how they have built and run their farm. If you don't mind getting dirty then this is a place for you!

Good Neighbor Food Pantry  has paired up with Heart 2 Heart in order to build community and feed the people and families who need food. It has been such an AMAZING experience getting to know all the people that go there, help unload the food truck, feed the animals,etc. And we have learned a lot.

Cleanup before the truck arrives 

Truck Arrives 

What a community! 


My kiddo named this one "Lickey" because it wouldn't stop licking him. lol







If you don't mind getting dirty, want a good opportunity to teach your kids something and have the time, then go and check out the  Heart 2 Heart Farms and the Good Neighbor Pantry. 


Take care and happy farmin'!
CHEERS!










1 comment:

  1. Gleaning is a great way to get good foods. Some shops also allow gleaning. There used to be a place here in NoPo that had gleaning as well. Farmer's Markets as well. WTG Jess!

    ReplyDelete